Like any machine, a furnace should be checked and cleaned regularly. While natural gas is a relatively clean burning fuel, all combustion produces residue that can accumulate inside your furnace over time.
Getting your furnace serviced by one of the professional technicians from Ottawa Home Services will give you peace of mind and years of dependable, efficient performance.
Why Get a Furnace Tune Up and Cleaning?
Tune ups make good financial sense long term:
- You’ll save money on your gas bills. A tune up and cleaning will improve energy efficiency by an average of 8%. Over the course of a typical winter, that adds up to significant savings. You can save even more when you follow these tips .
- You’ll add years to the life of your furnace. When you deal with smaller problems as they happen, you’ll prevent wear and tear on your overall system. That means you don’t have to replace your furnace as often.
- Fewer sudden – and expensive – breakdowns. When you have a professional technician looking at your furnace, they’ll be able to warn you if they see a problem. You’ll be able to keep your home warm no matter how cold it is outside, and how hard your furnace has to work.
- Better indoor air quality. A cleaner furnace means cleaner air in your home.
Our technicians don’t get any sales commissions, so you know you’re getting friendly, professional advice about the condition of your furnace.
Your maintenance appointment includes:
- Ensure the heat exchanger(s) are not cracked or blocked (this could result in deadly Carbon Monoxide leaking into the home).
- Check and set natural gas pressure according to manufacturer’s specifications to ensure proper ignition and combustion.
- Perform cleaning of all component to ensure safety and efficiency.
- Test all safety controls to ensure operation.
- Document any deficiencies and recommended work if needed.
You also get a written report on your furnace status to keep for your records.
When’s The Best Time for a Tune-up?
To enjoy maximum efficiency gains all winter long, schedule your furnace tune up and cleaning in the early fall. Your furnace will be in peak condition the first time you turn it on.
Save Even More With a Maintenance Plan
For as little as $7.99 a month, you can get your annual tune up and safety inspection taken care of – plus great discounts on repairs and extended warranty coverage.
What Can I Do To Improve My Furnace’s Efficiency?
Here are some things any homeowner can do help save money on heating costs:
- Check your filter regularly, and change it as often as needed. Your furnace won’t have to work so hard to move the air past all the trapped dust, hair and other particles. The furnace filter instructions will recommend a replacement time, usually every few months.
- Make sure nothing is blocking your air registers. If you have furniture covering or partially covering the registers, move them enough to ensure free airflow.
- Keep your curtains closed. During the day, leave curtains open only on south or west-facing windows. The sun will help warm your home (just like a parked car). Leave them closed on north and east-facing windows, and close all curtains at night.
- Check windows and doors for gaps in insulation. You can get sealing kits at any hardware store.
- Have a programmable thermostat installed. If you don’t have one already, you can make big savings with even the simplest programmable thermostat.
- Ensure your air ducts are sealed. You can lose up to 20% of your heated air in your ducts. Your furnace will also have to work harder to get the heat where it’s needed.
Talk to your Ottawa Home Services technician for more professional tips.
Ready to schedule a tune up and cleaning for your furnace?